• Massage therapy increases flexibility. For an athlete to maintain optimal performance, they must maintain a high degree of flexibility. Since massage therapy stretches the muscle fibers, flexibility is promoted and maintained.
• Massage therapy improves circulation. With better circulation, the athlete can breathe more easily and move more efficiently. Massage therapy helps with blood flow, thus improving the circulation of the athlete and enhancing performance levels.
• Massage therapy alleviates muscle pain. If an athlete is in pain due to an injury, they are not able to perform at their best. With regular massage therapy, muscle pain can be curbed, and the athlete can perform better.
• Massage therapy promotes better sleep patterns. By getting regular massages, athletes can improve the quality of sleep they are getting each night. Getting a good night’s sleep helps athletes perform at an optimal level.
• Massage therapy increases relaxation levels. Research shows that many athletes have a hard time relaxing, and stress can affect an athlete’s overall health. Massage puts one’s body and mind in a relaxed state, thus reducing the negative physiological effects of stress.
Regular Sports Massage can:
• Enhance elimination of metabolic by-products of exercise.
• Reduce the chance in injury, through proper stretching, and event preparation.
• Improve range of motion and muscle flexibility, resulting in improved power and performance.
• Shorten recovery time between workouts.
• Maximize the supply of nutrients and oxygen through increased blood flow.
The Performance Program includes benefits of the prevention and wellness programs.
Move Well In A Deeper Sense,
Paul F. Caswell, Bodywork Practitioner
KMI-Structural Integration & Bodywork Therapy
Performance Muscular Therapy
Portsmouth, NH USA